Birgu is a typical Maltese village with so much history, museums, cafes, wine bars and top restaurants. When the Knights of St John arrived in 1530 they transferred the capital of Malta from Mdina to Birgu for its strategic location and ability to keep watch over their naval fleet.
Here you can find Fort St Angelo which came under heavy bombardment for 4 months from the Ottomans in The Great Siege of Malta in 1565 where they were close to giving up until reinforcements were sent to help from Jean Parisot de Valette and the Ottomans were forced to retreat hence the name Citta Vittoriosa (Victorious City).
Birgu has now transformed and has a large marina which can handle the largest of super yachts, high end restaurants by the waterfront, cafés and a number of wine bars making this more attractive for foreign investors who are increasingly taking a bigger interest in this area to escape the hustle and bustle of the more modern towns.
At the beginning of the 20th century Birgu had a population of approximately 6000 people which has gradually reduced to 2629 according to official figures taken in 2014.
Birgu is attracting more and more foreign investment and property prices are going up at a steady rate due to its great location by the sea and overlooking Valletta whilst retaining its Maltese heritage.
Estate Agents In Vittoriosa (Birgu)